Saturday, November 14, 2009

Spinning Progress


As I mentioned last week, I got a new spinning wheel and after experiencing some initial frustration with plying (see the rat's nest I created here):


But I went to two different spinners' groups - one in St. Joseph last week and one on Tuesday here in my area that really really helped!! They clarified what I was doing wrong. Basically, whenever you ply, you are supposed to spin the wheel counterclockwise but I was occasionally plying clockwise out of habit. I didn't realize what I was doing, so I was really messing it up.

But I'm doing much better now. In fact, I'm getting excited now about the possibility of dyeing my yarn with Kool-Aid dyes. I haven't done that yet, but am collecting Kool-Aid packets and starting to read about it on Ravelry.

I have been trying to spin every single day for at least a little while so that I stay in practice. I started spinning over a year ago, but there were so many things I didn't know how to do, especially plying, that I just let it go and didn't do much with it. Now I'm really eager to plow ahead, try to do a little bit every day and gradually branch into doing new things like yarn dyeing. It will be fun.


I am still knitting a little bit too. I am working on a short cardigan out of Crystal Palace Merino stripes yarn in an autumnal colorway. Here's the completed back. That's all I have finished so far. 2 fronts and 2 sleeves left to go.

Have a good week everyone.

3 comments:

Jo said...

There was a really good Kool-Aid dyeing tutorial that Ana put together after the guild's retreat in Harveyville. You can find it here: http://www.snowangels.com/sketchbook/?page_id=418

Elysbeth said...

Hmmn, I think we've all done that in plying.

To remind myself which direction I'm going I put a little sticker with the direction arrow on the bottom of my castle.(below where the orifice hook sticks out)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.