Thursday, November 30, 2006

Let it Snow, Let It Snow, Let it Ice? Hmmmm




The severe weather came in back-to-back storms, said Mike July of the National Weather Service in Kansas City. "We're going to get hit with a double-whammy," he said. The first storm rolled through Kansas on Wednesday afternoon, on the heels of near-record setting high temperatures earlier in the week. It dumped half an inch of ice on tree limbs and power lines in eastern Kansas, contributing to a fatal car accident on the Kansas Turnpike and raising concerns of power outages.

Suddenly, the Indian summer we've been enjoying - temps in the 60's and 70's have been replaced by winter. Yesterday's temps fell 40 degrees in one day! Then we had ice . . . now we have snow. It took me two hours both last night and tonight to get home from work. Normally, it's a 45 minute drive.

Lucky for me, I really like - well, let's face it LOVE winter!!!! I am a cold weather kind of gal. I'm not afraid of driving in it either. I just don't like to take 2 hours each way getting to and from work, makes an awfully long work day.

Anyway, winter is officially here now. Pictured is a view from the door of my house looking out at my snow-covered car. And that's the snow that had accumulated in the 2 short hours since I arrived home. It doesn't count the deep snow and ice I drove through on the WAY home. Yikes. Too bad I can't have an official snow day off work, but my company will stay open no matter what. They even have a generator on the premises.

How this snowy weather makes me yearn for more luscious stay-at-home and cuddle in front of the fireplace with my family and a hot cup of coffee.

By the way, Phyllis, thanks for calling to check on me. You are too cute!!! Worrying about me is so sweet.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh wow! We didn't get nearly that much here in the Northland! Yes, the ice, about a half inch to an ince, but not even enough snow to cover the grass.

Too bad you can't give Saturday errands a miss, maybe do a few on Friday, and do the fireplace thing then. Of course, you have to do the fireplace and coffee thing on Sunday. :)

ChelleC said...

9" of snow here in LS - at least in my yard. I measured!!! It was really tough getting to work this morning, but I did it, yay!