Thursday, May 03, 2007

Am I Falling Apart or What?

Jeez, I joined this walking/exercise class with Mary and Carol that we're doing through a hospital. We've been doing this for about 4 weeks, and I've been trying to walk most every day for 2 weeks now. This week, we got back the results of our lab tests and I discovered that I really DO have motivation to lose weight and exercise. It seems that my overall cholestrol is 211 with the "bad cholestrol" being too high and the good too low. That's not a huge surprise, it's hereditary in my family.

But blood sugar is also higher than it should be, at 114. Bummer. I need to start watching that now too. It's time to really go low-carb - giving up pasta, bread, sweets, chips, white flour etc. I really can't eat that junk anymore.

After last Sunday's entry on addiction, I decided that for at least one week, I want to totally give up coffee for just one week. Why? Mainly just to see if I can do it, because I adore coffee more than anything. I miss it. Green tea just isn't the same. I don't care what anyone says. I drink my coffee black, without sugar, cream etc. I like it because it is rich tasting, thick, hearty, warm and comforting. I can sip green tea, and it's okay, but it's just not the same. So far this week, though, I haven't had any - not Monday through Thursday so far! I just wanted to see if I could do it - give up something I love for a week. Yes, I probably can. Do I want to continue this? Not sure yet.

Actually they say that coffee LOWERS the risk of diabetes, so considering my elevated blood sugar, maybe I should continue drinking it and enjoying it forever, who knows? Ah the ways we justify our addictions. Isn't it simply amazing?

1 comment:

Elysbeth said...

Coffee may ward off Parkinsons as well. Of course, you'll need to take calcium supplements at non coffee times of day....coffee leaches calcium from the bone and blocks the absorbtion of Calcium and C molecules. Eitherwise, drink it if ya' got it.