Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Stitches Recap

I went to Stitches. Whew! Finally back. What a trip. It was memorable but no trip to Stitches is ever relaxing. What was I thinking when I imagined I'd sit around and relax? It was go, go, go the whole time and I still haven't unpacked, two nights after arriving back home.

We had an 8 hour ride on the bus to Chicago. During that time, I started a new project, the "Wrap Me Up" stole. Here's a photo of the pattern and the second photo is my version. I figure this will be perfect for me to use like a lap blanket at work when I'm freezing.







Although I brought several projects on the trip, I ended up knitting on this "Wrap Me Up" the whole time, up and back on the bus from cast on and now I'm up to block 6 of the 21 block pattern. Are the colors bright enough? Jeez, I didn't realize it, but those colors are awfully bright even for ME! The pattern is easy and fun to work on.

In the market, I had a chance to talk to the pattern designer, Chris deLongpre. She explained that this pattern came about because she designed a wrap that would be a "stitch sampler" which she could demonstrate different stitch patterns to her students. The shop owners kept asking her to make a pattern of it, so she finally did. I really enjoy working on it so far.

Over the next few days, I will do my best to "debrief" on here so that I can capture some of the ideas and things I absorbed while at Stitches Midwest.

Here is a brief recap of the things that worked and the things I'd do differently next time.

Worked:

Careful Shopping - I went through the market the first night without buying much - well, I did buy a set of handles for a purse that I knew I wanted to make from my "projects to do" list. Though I was amazed by the market, I didn't go "hog wild" in spending. Not at all. In fact, the only yarn I purchased was this: It's some novelty yarn I picked up at The Fold at half price. I can use that in my Freeform projects.

Travel by Coach. Went on the bus with The Studio. This alleviated the hassles of flight, and allowed me to carry plenty of bags without worrying about lugging them very far etc. I had what I needed and had a comfortable ride there and back with time to knit, relax and "leave the driving to the driver." It was a nice way to go, and a lot of fun with my fellow Studio knitters along the way! I really appreciate the Studio chartering that bus.

Stayed at the Doubletree - nice hotel with a bed that was heavenly to sleep in. I was impressed.

Selected good classes I took two classes: Friday was all day with Valentina Devine on a linear knitting/Freeform workshop. Saturday was a day spent with Susan Lazaar on "Swatch Lab." It was about how to design or adapt a garment. Both were excellent classes.

Went to the fashion show - I really enjoyed every minute of that.

Allowed for free time - by arriving on Wednesday night and staying until Sunday, I had ample days to enjoy classes, the fashion show and "people watching." It was great to have 5 days devoted to Stitches. Last time I had only two, and that felt rushed.

Next time:

Avoid all-day classes - Instead, take only two 1/2 day classes and spend even more time "people watching" and meeting and spending time with knitting buddies.

Pack less clothing, and stuff in general. Really figure out what I need and don't need in advance. Need: half the clothes I took. Don't need: 45 sets of knitting needles and 5 extra projects in case I have time to suddenly get everything done - I won't!

Take the phone numbers of everyone I want to hook up with and make more plans to get together in advance. Jeanie, sorry I missed you!!! I am so sorry I didn't bring your phone number with me in advance so we could get together.

All in all, Stitches was a blast! I don't know if I can go again next year. It really is expensive, but so worthwhile and fun. If I can do it again, I definitely will.

1 comment:

Elysbeth said...

"Pack less clothing, and stuff in general. Really figure out what I need and don't need in advance. Need: half the clothes I took. Don't need: 45 sets of knitting needles and 5 extra projects in case I have time to suddenly get everything done - I won't" Could you teach me this too?