Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Unexpected Invitations


Kurt Vonnegut once said, "Unexpected travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." I've never forgotten that line from one of his novels. So in the spirit of dancing lessons . . . when our friend Jan decided to unexpectedly invite us to last night's show of "Sweet Charity" at the outdoor theater, Starlight, we gladly and quickly accepted. I'm so glad we did! Paige Davis, former, TRADING SPACES star, played the role of Sweet Charity extremely well. You can click on the link and see parts of the songs/dance/music. The show was fantastic, the weather unseasonably cool and a light breeze was refreshing and made the whole night a magical treat. Though we didn't get home until midnight, and I had to get up at 6:00 a.m. for work, it was well worth the loss of sleep. It was the most fun I've had in a long time - work has been simply horrible. A night out in the cool breeze being magically entertained was just the thing we all needed. I love live theater.

The next time you get a suggestion or an invitation from someone, instead of shrugging it off and saying, "Nah, I'd better not . . . " say "Yes, I'll do it." Adventure and unexpected turns are what make life worth living. I wish I had more of those unexpected happy events. Maybe I need to create more of them for myself, or invite others along for equally fun and unexpected adventures. A thought. Yes.

This is the hibicous (sp?) plant that was a transplant from Grammy's house. She LOVES these big colorful flowers. Here you go, Grammy, enjoy! These bush is loaded with little buds.


As you can tell, I'm deliberately seeking out the good. So . . . Another fun thing I did last weekend, on Sunday in fact, was to venture out into the hot sun to attend The Studio's Stashbuster trade and buy/sell stash sale out in their parking lot. It was hot - really hot that day! So the part of me that hates hot, humid weather wanted to beg off, but again, I made myself GOOOOOO.

First, I inventoried my stash on Friday night and Saturday. Made a list of all the yarn I have, separated out all the yarn I don't need (a lot) and bagged it up. Then I also frogged several projects where I like the yarn, but have lost passion for the long forgotten and abandoned project. Now I have yarn I really love, and a list of projects I'm really excited about completing, most of which I already own - yeah!!! This was done by prompting from Elysbeth on her 10 week "New Year's" project. I've joined her on that - and one of my goals was getting my stash in line. Surprisingly, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I'd done most of the major culling last Fall when I moved in here.

Mom and I had a great time at the Stashathon. Yes, it was hot. But the Studio gave out cold water bottles, and we kept ducking inside periodically to get cooled off. I met several fun people there, including one lady who is riding the bus with us to Stithces. Plus, Stacey was sitting out there, knitting in the parking lot, and the object she was knitting, called, "Wrap me up" made me covet that wrap. Before I knew it, I went inside, purchased the pattern - it was made of Noro yarn - which happens to be what several knitters who were destashing were selling. One destasher, in particular, was selling 7 balls of a discontinued colorway of Noro for 7 skeins for $14. So I decided to buy it - then add a few more balls of a companionable colorway, and I also added 2 skeins of Lamb's Pride worsted in lime green to go with the rest. Here it is - one of my future next projects:

3 comments:

Elysbeth said...

Wow! 7 for 14. I think I have to go lie down after hearing that. I have the cutest pattern for a Noro cabled capelet that L&V sent with an order of sock yarn - it's from the Knitters calendar. Can't wait to see your wrap, and Einstein coat. You surely love colour.

ChelleC said...

Well, each destasher set their own price, and she gave it to me cheap like that because it was a partial bag of discontinued Noro - only 7 skeins, not quite enough to make a sweater. I had to buy 3 more compatible (but not identical) skeins of Noro to go with it to have enough for the wrap. But all in all, I think it will be nice.

Anonymous said...

Check out Ram Wools, they just sent me and email showing their new two patterns for Noro Silk Garden, one's a wrap and the other a sweater.