Friday, November 30, 2007

Toe-Up Socks Anyone?



I had this urge this week to knit . . . . toe-up socks! I've been working on so many long-range projects lately, i.e. the Einstein coat, the Capricious Freeform Shawl (crochet), that I decided I needed a portable project, and I really really missed knitting SOCKS.

I also love fall, autumny colors, so what did I pick out of my overflowing sock stash but my Jitterbug's Raphael. I really like these socks so far. I am past the toe and into the foot knitting part. I am using my favorite (so far) toe-up sock pattern that is free from Chery's website. It uses a Turkish Cast on, which is an easy and hassle-free way to get started and have a nice-looking toe. I like to follow the Turkish Cast on directions described in detail by Deb, FlufferKnitter. I think this cast on was originally created by Meg Swenson, but Deb has an excellent step-by-step tutorial that I linked to. Chery's pattern features a heel flap, which is my preferred type of heel. I'm using size 0 circular needs because I knit very loose and am using fingering weight sock yarn.

Today I received Lynn of ColorJoy's First Time Toe-Up Socks in the mail. It appears to be an easy way of making toe-up socks in a variety of yarn weights. If anyone is a new sock knitter, or certainly new to toe-up socks, this pattern would be a perfect starting place. I may try her version of toe-up socks on heavier weight sock yarn sometime. I ordered a new set of Knitpicks DP Harmony needles (the wooden kind) which should be arriving any day now too.

LynnH and her husband Brian sing 1920's music as The Fabulous Heftones - I got her second CD which is Moon June Spoon. Her first CD has "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" which never fails to make me smile!! Maybe I'll tiptoe through the ice (this morning) to make my way back to Weight Watchers and see how I did this week on the scale. I did well except for last night's dinner, when we went out as a family and ate Chinese Food last night, not so good for the night before weigh-in, huh?

Regarding my Weight Watchers week - dieting always goes better when you have a diet/exercise buddy for support. This week my friend Phyllis and I wrote emails back and forth cataloging what we ate and the points. That worked really well, although toward the end of the week, I got lazy on sending her my journal. But knowing she was keeping me accountable helped to keep me on track. I didn't exercise yet, not once this week, and I know that's what I need to do this coming week. But the fact is, I kept my awareness and stayed on track even during a really tough week.

I also gave notice to quit at work, so my last day there will be coming up in about a week or so. I already went on one job interview for a temp company and let's just say it was less-than-stellar. I had to laugh to keep from crying. The job search has begun - wish me luck on that.

But I'm okay, really I am. Feeling pretty good actually this week and proud of myself for not eating everything that wasn't nailed down. For almost a whole week, I recognized and responded to my emotions instead of eating from them. Bravo!

4 comments:

Elysbeth said...

Now remember, I don't like the cuffs on my socks too long, so you should be finished with them in time for my birthday.

Seriously, you will enjoy being able to try them on as you go.

Congrats on the wiser eating.

Carol said...

The sock looks great. You have really gotten a lot done.

Way to go, giving your notice. That will allow you to focus on getting something better. I will keep an eye out for you while I am doing my search. Maybe we will both come up with something really good.

I am went to WW on Friday but I may go on Saturday also for reinforcement. Good luck to both of us.

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Wow... you quit work. I find that when I do that, it takes a place where I get clear about who I am and who I am not.

The clarity will continue. Keep your head up. Perhaps interviews for the wrong sort of job won't go as well as those for a good fit?

Keep smiling (you are beautiful), and when you don't know what to do, knit. It's constructive and you'll feel like you are getting something done. Which of course, will be true.

Hugs.

Kristina B said...

Hi Chelle: love that yarn!

Best of luck with the job search and with Weight Watchers (although it doesn't look to me as though you really need it! but whatever works...). Kudos also for not allowing work triggers to put you off your plan. That takes a lot of willpower (speaking as one who will use any excuse to resume smoking once I've quit).

Cheers,

Kristina