Thursday, March 27, 2008

Did You Know . . . Another Search Tool for the Pattern Perplexed

For those of you on Ravelry, did you ever have 420 yards of some fingering weight yarn and you knew you wanted to do SOMETHING with it, but not sure what?

Well there's a new experimental tool over on Ravelry that works really well for this. You go to the "Patterns" tab, then click on "experimental search tool" and then you can put in whatever search details you want i.e. by using the "tag" feature, I can select "shawls" or whatever type of pattern I'm hankering for, and then it will pull up all the shawl patterns that use fingering weight yarn. My search came up with around 126 patterns. Amazing. Love it!

Plus, the old Pattern search options are still there. If you click on Availability, you’ll see the options for Free, In Library, Ravelry Store, and Online. It seems to me that all the old search parameters are there, you just have to look a little bit under the different headings.

So . . . . the next time you find a lovely small skein of discontinued yarn and you only have 110 yards . . . try the search features to discover a wonderful new use for that yarn.

3 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the ravelry tip. I, too have a ton of fingering weight yarn. I thought I might just double it up. I like your idea better!

Unknown said...

Nifty! :)

Elysbeth said...

Jess and Casey have got our backs, eh?