Saturday, July 05, 2008

It Worked For Me Once . . .


Once upon a time, in January 2000 in fact, I was 20 pounds overweight and facing my first major middle-age weight hurdle, and I went on what was then a more sane version of popular low-carb diet that started with an A. I closely followed Suzanne Somers, Eat Great Lose Weight, her low-carb method was called Somersizing. Over several months, I lost weight and found it easy to keep the weight off and my cravings down. I stayed on it for over a year, nearly two years, but gradually let the carbs creep back in. Consequently, the weight crept back on.

For some reason, I decided I simply couldn't live without carbs and caffeine. So ever since then, the pounds have continued to add up and I can't stick to WWers worth a damn. The points are just too low at my height to make it workable. Low-fat dieting does NOT work for me.

During this weekend's ass-kicking and self-analysis session, I've decided to really dedicate myself, for the next 6 weeks, to a low-carb lifestyle again and see if that helps me shed any pounds. So from now until August 17th - I'm low carb. And okay, I'll give up caffeinated coffee. I believe THAT will be the biggest sacrifice. No coffee (well I can have decaf, but that's just not the same) - but I'll do it.

After I made this resolution and went grocery shopping, I discovered in my favorite weekly magazine, Woman's World, that on page 18, they feature a new lob-carb diet called the "Idiot-Proof Diet" by India Knight and Neris Thomas. They are two witty British women who, when they started the diet, looked like "eggs on legs." They still aren't exactly skinny but have lost over seventy pounds each and have kept it off for over a year. If you want to see a sampling of their diet plan, get the mag and have a look-see. Their book is fun and extremely readable. It's laugh-out-loud funny.


My biggest motivation for going low-carb is Bob's beautiful Aunt Eve who started low-carbing in November of 2004, she's petite in height, like me, and lost nearly 40 pounds. Best of all, she's KEPT it off for nearly four years. So if she can do it, I can do it. (She also is an avid coffee drinker who switched to decaf).

My low carb lifestyle starts today - I'm off to weigh and measure ME. Will check back in a few days and let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Phyllis Bourne said...

LOL! We must be twins separated at birth. I read the same article and ordered the book.

Like you, I've have been STRUGGLING (and very hungry!) on WW.

Good luck!

Elysbeth said...

Universal vibrations - I was going to email this weekend and see if you'd like to be a "health buddy".

I suppose I'll have to waddle down and look this.