Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ravelympics 2008


Well, guess what, my friend Rosemary got me involved in? It's the Ravelympics 2008. What is it? Well, if you are a member of Ravelry, you can read about it here.

What it amounts to is huge group of Ravelry members, I think it's well over a thousand now, are going to compete in various knitting events while the Summer Olympics are going on, from August 8th through August 24th. You are supposed to pick a project or projects for yourself that would be a CHALLENGE for you to complete in 17 days. There are several categories including sweaters, socks, shawls, bags, baby items, gift items, etc. There's even a separate category for WIP Wrestling. You pick a category you'd like to compete in and begin planning the project and getting the yarn etc. in the weeks before it starts. You can even do your swatching in preparation beforehand. But you're supposed to wait to actually cast on until the first day of the Olympics.

After selecting a "sport" to participate in, you pick the team you're competiting in. After many days of contemplating this and trying to be realistic, I decided that I should really do the WIP Wrestling because being a person of short attention span, I tend to have about 10 projects going at once, in various phases of incompletion or unrecognized abandonment. Around August of each year, I begin to face up to these orphans and decide to either own them again, or rip them out. So this Ravelempic competition might help me face them more confidently and actually take action on them. With the WIP competition, you obviously don't start anything new, you just focus on the project(s) you're going to complete and start aggressively working on those as of the August 8th start date.

I'm going to get these projects lined up and will report on my chosen WIP targets by the end of the weekend to develop a plan of attack.

Because I'm a Dr. Who fan, I am on Team Tardis.

If any of you care to join in any of these events, go to the link here.

Let the Games begin!!!

1 comment:

Elysbeth said...

Old Who or New Who?

I could go for a YooHoo right now. MMMNNN.

Funny how August makes us look at the UFOs.