Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shoalwater Abandoned - Cast On For Shetland Triangle

As many of you may know, I have been trying for 5 weeks to knit a Shoalwater Shawl for my friend Margo. After weeks of frustration and too many lifelines to count, I have decided to ditch this shawl in favor of another pattern, the Shetland Triangle Shawl from Wrap Style.

It looks like a much easier and faster pattern. What was supposed to be a serene prayer shawl was turning into too much frustrated effort and UNpeaceful thoughts. I'm starting over with the same colorway, Dream In Color Nightwatch, but I just decided that after being only 1/4 finished with a shawl in 5 weeks was ridiculous. I want to get this shawl to my friend - she needs the comfort it provides.

I've just had so darn many knitting projects go south this year, it's weird. But in most cases, the problem has been that I hang onto bad projects for TOO long, hoping they'll get better. Lesson Learned: Bad projects, like bad relationships, usually don't get better. Breathe. And let go.

So Shoalwater is off the needles - Shetland Triangle is ON. It's totally in chart form but looks easy - and hopefully FAST.

I'm starting Ravelempics in only about 11 days.

3 comments:

Kay said...

Poor Shoalwater, we hardly knew ye. I think you are wise to choose an easier, more soothing pattern for a serenity shawl, though. Hope this one goes fast.

Unknown said...

Sad about the Shoalwater, I've had the pattern a long time and have been waiting for the right yarn. I think it needs long sections of contrasting colors.
You are lucky to live near such a friendly and knowledgeable LYS. Now you can become an obsessive, boring spinner. Mission: infect others.
Happy to have found your blog.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, I have the shoalwater shawl pattern and some hand dyed yarn to make it. Maybe I should hold off some until I have had more lace practice.