Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Taffy Pull-On (Shrug)


When I went to The Studio Retreat last month, I met a really fun, creative knitter there named Emily. I've seen her around The Studio before and she's one of those people who just LOOKS interesting, even from a distance. But I never talked to her before at length until the retreat.

Well, Emily, also known as Taffyyarn over on Ravelry, got me enthralled with her Taffy Yarn. She also has written some patterns using her t-shirt yarn - which she makes herself - she cuts, dyes and hand-ties the material to make lovely and UNIQUE garments. She has a pattern for the shrug, as well as a Taffy Wrap and some other designs as well. It's well worth going to her site and checking out her taffy.

I made this cute little shrug in less than a week, and that was with very little knitting time devoted to it. I am a slow knitter, but even I, using Size 17 needles, can whip out a finished garment pretty fast. You could probably do it even faster if you're so inclined. This would be a perfect shrug to keep the spring breezes from chilling your arms, or later in summer, to keep the air conditioning gremlins at bay.

5 comments:

Trina said...

Very pretty, I love the colour! What a cool idea for using up old t-shirts!

Elysbeth said...

Wow, she's really clever.

Hope you enjoy your little shrug.

Amanda said...

Very cute! Thanks to you I bought this pattern from Emily a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to start mine :)

Phyllis Bourne said...

Both you and that shrug are simply adorable!

Christine said...

I'm so glad you wore this to the guild meeting. It's very pretty in pictures, but gorgeous in real life!

Enjoy spring break!
Christine