Thursday, January 28, 2010

Recharging my Battery


Usually in the new year, I feel exhilarated and happy, revving to do new things. But this year, with the hard winter, and a lot of challenging personal circumstances, I'm just feeling tired and drained, much like a battery that has lost its charge.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money or the time to take a vacation. And I'm not really in the vacation frame of mind anyway. Instead, I'm craving spiritual retreat. I'm craving some time at the monastery. Alone. Quiet. Ahhhh. Maybe I'll give myself that luxury sometime in the coming weeks.

But tonight, I'm going to FIND my way the Steam'n Bean and hang out with some knitting friends. I'll talk. I'll laugh. I'll knit. I'll recharge. Not quiet but quite fun.

I'm still planning to do the Ravelymics challenge and I'm thinking that I'll do the Oatmeal sweater that we talked about earlier, from Spin Off magazine. I've been having trouble getting my yarn at just the right gauge. But I think, as of last night, that I've finally got it down pat. So tonight I'll go to the Steam'n Bean and sit down, drink a cup of hot tea or coffee and knit a swatch to make sure the yarn I've spun works up to the right gauge.

What can you do to recharge your battery?

5 comments:

Sara said...

Have fun on your retreat...I can't wait to see how your Oatmeal turns out! I'm still spinning for mine. It's going to be ready for mid-summer at this point!

Phyllis Bourne said...

I made the final decision on my word last week. Sorry for the delay.

My word - ENJOY. Blogging about it next week sometime.

Phyllis Bourne said...

I shut off everything electronic, except the XM radio. I listen to watercolors, drink coffee, read and chill.

Rebecca said...

sounds like a great evening out. hope it went well!
i've had two weeks at work where ive had crazy hours (10 to 12 hours / day mon- fri :P) so today i finally have some down time and i plan to go do some yoga if dd ever manages to get her mess picked up (we share the extra bedroom as toy room/craft room/relaxation room) but it's never relaxing cause of the toys all around - usually dd's but ds gets in there making a mess sometimes too :P.
anyhow, yoga and tea then the rest of the day hanging out, knitting, being with fam and that's it.
but i sure understand you're needing some respite.
hope you get it soon.

Elysbeth said...

Our vacation is dead in the water. You and Bob should go in our place.

I like to shut off everything except something wacky and just "step out of the office" for a bit. Or spend serious time fondling the stash.

Hope you feel better soon.